Tuesday, April 6, 2010

MISSION TO HAITI: DAY 4




The problems in Haiti are overwhelming. The government is corrupt. It appears to be an unmanageable situation and there is really no end in sight or adequate solution. But what you can do is help one person at a time or help solve one problem at a time. And that’s what we do here. We’re not trying to solve all of Haiti’s problems. It’s not possible. Quite frankly, the problems here are so tremendous and the devastation so great, that even if somebody had all the answers, it would take a half a century to see the light of day. That is the truth. But the reason we’re here is this:



And this:

There is nothing easier then making these children smile. When we went to the 'orphanage' today all the children stood up together and started singing. It was really something else. The people who care for these children protect them with their life's. It's an incredible thing to watch.

But this is a very challenging and dire situation. These children live on a crowded, filthy dirty street. In the photo above, that stream of water is filled with raw sewage. There are 76 of them living in a very tiny space:



The difference in these kids in just 24 hours is remarkable and the only real change for them so far are fruit cups. But now there is a slight glimmer of hope - and more food. We will go back twice more. We'll bring more food tomorrow and come back again to give them all a good once over, bring medications, bath them, treat their worms, fungal infections and bandage their open wounds. I would love to write more but I can't keep my eyes open.
The kids love it when we overdo the bandages!

I'm back. I'm an early riser so I'll share a few more things.
Working it:


This is Alan (on the left), the very desperate, scared, religious orphanage 'owner' whose "dream as a child was to care for orphans" he said to Paul (white guy with sunglasses), Alexander (on the right - one of our translators) and me, in Creole. But what was his dream come true before the quake, has now become a nightmare. He brings all these kids to church every Sunday. Unbelievable. Paul will try to find a bigger space for them and work on getting a better source of food. It will be almost impossible but in time, he'll get it done. Paul, by the way, has been doing this since day one. He does not get paid. He is responsible for cleaning up and getting an enclosure for the orphanage where we had Easter diner. Unfortunately for him, I am taking care of him while I'm here:)

I ate my first MRE - military issue - Meals Ready to Eat. Ugh. It comes in a plastic pouch. There is something in the bag that creates a chemical reaction that makes it hot. Scary.

6 comments:

  1. You're doing a wonderful job, Cory-keep up God's good work! I look forward to your blogs every morning now, seeing a little of what you experience every day. It really makes me stop and be thankful for my own blessings. We take so very much for granted here. On a lighter note, my heart goes out to you w/those military meals- and you know why!!! LOL!! Love, Barbara xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cory,

    Stay strong. You have done so much for our family in the last month and now you are doing so much for the people of Haiti.

    My mom told me a story once ...

    A guy walking on the beach looked up to find that millions of starfish had been washed ashore and were dying in the sun. He saw a girl picking up starfish one by one and throwing them back into the water.

    He went up to her and said, "Are you crazy? There are millions of starfish here. You'll never save them all. It doesn't matter."

    The girl picked up another starfish and threw it into the water and said, "It mattered to that one."


    Please let me know if there is anything I can do (shipping school supplies, etc?)

    Sending all my love
    Annabel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for keeping up with the posting Cory. I think so many of us connect on a deep level with what is going on there, but are cut off from it in so many ways. You are our light on the subject. And it is really rocking my world. For lots of reasons...and keeps things in perspective for me at this time. Big hugs and thanks for being there.

    Cathy and Tom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cory. If anyone can get this story out to others who can help it is you! Clearly we are all anxious to help on some level. Let us know what we can gather and send.xoxo

    ReplyDelete