Tuesday, April 13, 2010

MISSION TO HAITI: 9 + 10












I just realized I haven't blogged in a few days. That’s what very little sleep will do to you. Yesterday was dedicated to finding a better place to live and we did. I don’t want to talk about it. The bad news, it has a mirror, no running water, spotty electricity and an abundance of mosquitoes. The good news; we don’t get rained on.

The day started with a trip to the U.S. Consulate. We had an 11:45 a.m. appointment to bring the forms we were given at our last visit. It’s no wonder the Haitians are angry and frustrated. It is impossible to get anything done. Endless lines and a level of incompetence that is horrifying insures the smallest task will take all day and then some. Do you remember Ralph: The 17 year old boy whose stepmom left him in Haiti, stealing his Green Card, birth certificate and Passport? You can’t get a Green Card without a Passport and you can’t get a Passport without a birth certificate and there is no solution to this problem built into the system. Ralph is a good kid and he deserves a chance. We made a little bit of progress but by the end of the day, Ralph was sick with worry over the thought of never getting back to the states. And rightfully so; after living in the states for 6 years, attending school, living in a nice house, having some degree of order around him, the prospect of getting stuck in Haiti is frightening, truly frightening. Right now Ralph is living with us. His English and Creole are perfect and he makes a great translator. He’s also been living on the street since the day his stepmom left him here and he is very street savvy which is extremely helpful. He knows all the scams and there are many. Local cell phones only work by purchasing minutes from Digicel, the local cell phone company. Vendors of these minutes sit along the streets like they’re selling hot dogs. But they only accept ‘gouds’, the local money and the quick exchange gives these guys a constant opportunity to rip you off. Ralph knows the gig and is always watching out for us. It’s the same with gas which, by the way, is 7 dollars a gallon.

The earthquake was on January 12. The Haitians have learned how to live around the rubble. They climb over it, cut paths through it and incorporate it into their lives. Clean up and rebuilding is only for the very few Haitians with money and for those buildings owned by foriegners.

We made two food drops yesterday. No need to bore you with every detail. The photos tell the story. You have never seen such excitement and appreciation over rice and beans. We checked out the kids, fixed a few boo boos, left some meds and headed out.
I started the day out tired. I have to admit, I am running out of steam.

22 comments:

  1. Hang in there. What a trooper. So proud of you. Look forward to seeing you again. Much love to you and a safe home. Sha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet Cory don't forget to take a moment to breath ... you are amazing. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have done amazing things for which you can always be proud. I am so proud to know you. With so much affection......Diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cory, say
    I allow myself to stop and only focus on my
    breath right now,
    ahhh thank you this is all my body and consciousness need to realign with my center,
    I feel the cool air going in on the enhale
    I feel the warm air going out on the exhale.
    now repeat three times, I allow myself to pay
    a few minutes of full attention on my breath,
    i feel that still point whenever I do this
    practice,

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a sad story this has been. I so want Ralph to get back to the States. I hope we can follow the progress. Michelle Obama and Jill Biden are in town there. Something tells me if anyone will find them, you will!
    You, Cory are an inspiration in self sacrifice and committment. Proud to know you.
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle Obama was 200 yards from me. Lets see if she gets anything done. Brya, thanks for the moment of peace. Ican get kinda caught up.xoxox love everyone

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cory
    has barack obama been there? of course not. That is inexcusable. Haiti should be a bit higher on his list of priorities. michelle showed up 3 months later. what an outrage.what have they been doing since january 12? Sean Penn was just there. why doesn't he take some of the money he made on his last movie and help there poor kids. After all, they need food and medical supplies which money can buy you should consider adopting Ralph.

    ReplyDelete
  8. my heart goes out to you. you need a rest its about 72 hours until you come home, think of it in hours it goes faster.love lil

    ReplyDelete
  9. are you coming home in 72 hours? you are doing so much good, why not finish what you were destined to do? help these wonderful children to live a better life. you are my inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This country would not let me adopt Ralph.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will come back and I will be better prepared. Who knew it would be so bad here. I could not have imagined how it was gonna be. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't be discouraged or lose heart, Cory. You and your other courageous comrades have been like guardian angels to these poor defenseless people. You all have made a HUGE difference in their lives...you all just don't realize it yet. You're self sacrifice is so admirable... I'm proud to be your friend :)))) Can't wait until you return safe & sound. Love, Barbara xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. You doing such an amazing service for the Haitian people. The despotic history of Haiti and the perpetual degradation of the Haitian people by their leaders is a very sad story, one that you are witnessing. Let's hope that all the money the US has given will find its way into the right hands. What has happened to all the money that has been sent? What are the governments of Russia, China, Venezuela and Cuba doing to help the Haitian people? Cory you have done so much--keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  14. thank God you have surfaced.

    I write to you with tears in my eyes.....so much devestation and so much frustration and so much left to be done... I personally have written to the President of the United States to express my outrage of being the leading coungtry in the world and for having done so little to change the dymanics of redevelopment of Haiti.
    You need to move on. Look forward. There is opportunity here to focus your skills to accomplis a great deal for this devistated nation.
    Travel home safely...didn't know about the 72 hour window but was very happy to read about it.
    xo
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  15. cory
    i don't know how you are going to adjust to life back in white plains and all the mundane things in daily life. you have just experienced some unforgettable things. this is your calling in life

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have sent your chronicle of your mission to everyone I can....I hope it helps. Don't forget to just "be" ok? Gotta love ya girl!
    J

    ReplyDelete
  17. PS: is there a way to help Ralph from here...any calls we can make to our esteemed reprehensibles....I mean representatives?

    ReplyDelete
  18. When I get back, I'm going to see if there is some way to get Ralph back to the states.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Cory, I'm so thankful to hear from you and know that you're OK. I have a feeling Mother Teresa is with you. I'm doing the Sun Dance and praying for you, and for miracles, every day. Be safe and continue to be peace.

    I love you,
    Jeanne
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  20. cory
    knowing you ralph will be living in the ritz

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am so unbelievably touched and humbled by your courage and devotion displayed towards the Haitian people. I've been wanting to write to you for days since receiving your first email. I am still crying...and am so touched by what I've seen... and read... from your experience.
    If you didn't know, I am Haitian born with family still living in Haiti. Fortunately, my family was not affected by the disaster...and their homes are still intact.
    You are such an incredibly beautiful and unique person...


    With love, appreciation and gratitude for who you are,

    ReplyDelete