Friday, April 9, 2010

MISSION TO HAITI: DAY 7

Just when I thought I had seen the absolutely most impoverished, I witness new depths of poverty. Just when I thought I smelled something worse than anything I’ve ever smelled before (besides me right now), I smelled something much worse. And just when I thought I had seen the ultimate destruction, I saw something even more devastating. Today was a day we drove around Port-Au-Prince to see some of the things we had missed. I’ll share them with you.


Such sadness in this baby. This is truly an impossible situation. Giving these people food or money puts their life's in jeopardy. My first feelings of utter helplessness. I gave the baby's mother my scarf. You always have to have a scarf or bandana to cover your nose and mouth.




Ships loaded with coal

Some of these photos were taken in a restricted area that we talked our way in to. There are crevasses 6 feet deep where the earth split open and and coastal loading docks fell into the ocean. Photos can't capture what's going on here but before I get home I'll do my best to get the message across. In the meantime, let's all try not to use plastic bags or plastic bottles. Haiti is so littered with them, you can't see the ground.There is no recycling but people do pick bottles up, refill them, and sell them on the street. Ugh. And yes, there are still bodies under the rubble.

I am going on very little sleep. Please forgive all my typos and basic bad English. Thanks.

16 comments:

  1. Corey, angel of mercy
    Love Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are no words... What should people do who can't be there in Haiti (aside from praying)?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cory,
    Thank you for sharing your experience there,
    Much love,
    Christophe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cory, I am speechless. It just gets worse. You are truly an angel of mercy to have remained in Haiti to help despite the deplorable conditions. What can we do from here to help? I am horrified by the photos. These people are living in ways no human should have to live.
    I am in awe of you.You are the strongest person I have ever met! My prayers and positive karma are sent to you.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cory
    Where do you find the strength to do this work? It must be from our Lord. Your faith must guide you now

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cory,
    You now know poverty in its truest and most grotesque form- hopelessness. Your words and photographs depict a situation unfathomable to us. Today I will pray for a miracle, and for your continued safety.
    Love, Annie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your pictures are amazing, and I totally get it that it's just to huge to capture in any one photo. That's astounding that the earth just opened up like that in the port.

    How are you doing? Hope you get a shower sometime soon!

    Cathy and Tom

    ReplyDelete
  8. What the hell is going on down there? Where is the UN, Unisco, Red Cross, and all the other erstwhile bastions of emergency help to clean up these living conditions? There should be marshall law managed by the UN, armies from around the world to clean up, (instead of killing) and a plan to rebuild with world money as a model for our humanity. I hope all you are recording gets out there. I will try to get your blog into the hands of someone who will publish this continuing and worsening horror. We cannot forget these people. Thanks you for all your good work, bravery, and above all sensitivity and kindness to the impovished people of Haiti.
    I love you Cory
    xo
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cory. If I had my school collect skintastic, rain ponchos, and bandanas would I be able to send them to you? Would you be able to give to the right people?? My thanks, prayers and awe, xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I can secure a place to send goods, I'll let everybody know. xoxox Cory

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a documentary of humanitarianism at its highest level. Deep, penetrating, tear jerking and awe inspiring. The hope that overshadows these devastating images is exactly what is needed right now, and every moment from here on - by all of us - by the Haitian victims and more important, by people like Cory who spread an ethereal kindness that glows in every photo.

    This is Cory. This is Haiti. These words are my tears, and Cory has given hope to many people who sorely need it.

    Thank you Cory, from the bottom of my heart. Thank you for your generosity in sharing this with the world. I am there with you in soul, and you are brave and strong. To Haiti, your are their song. Their hope. Haiti is lucky to have you.... See More

    With the warmest of hugs up here in NY, we send our love to you and our prayers to everyone.

    Love,

    Lizzy Wald

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Cory. Thanks for your compassion. My bible study group is following along and praying for you. Mark T.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you everybody. Much appreciated,
    LOve to all. xoxox Cory

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Cory,
    I am certain the people of Haiti you have cared for feel the same as me...”THANK YOU for saving my life.”
    I have helped many since my bout with EF and again, you rekindle my desire to aid others! Thank you for being our inspiration!!!
    Warmest regards, Mitch P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks Mitch, for all your kind words. It means a lot to me. xox Cory

    ReplyDelete