Sunday, April 11, 2010

MISSION TO HAITI: DAY 8




Ralph, Little Paul, Alan, Jitterbug, me and Big Paul
The day began with disappointment. We had hired a driver with a 4 wheel drive vehicle to take us high up into the mountains where we heard there was a struggling ‘orphanage’. Our driver never showed up. Not a surprise around this place but still, a big disappointment. We had packed up medical supplies, mosquito netting and some food. We would have done what we do; check it out, evaluate the kids, evaluate the set up, make it a little better and start the process for keeping it that way. We’ll get up there but not today.

We faced another problem; we had to move our camp. Although our living conditions are awful, I have grown accustomed to them. I’m not looking forward to the move but it’s a must. We rationalized that our driver standing us up was a blessing in disguise because it would give us an opportunity to find a place to pitch our tents. But God works in mysterious ways and that wasn’t going to happen either.

After packing up our tents and gathering up all our supplies, I looked at one of my teammates and said jokingly but dead serious “if I don’t help someone soon, I don’t know what I’ll do”. It’s the only reason I’m here and I feel I should be doing just that, every minute. As soon as I said that, Jitterbug’s phone rang. Who is Jitterbug? She is a 29 year old nurse, and former journalist (with an awesome swagger) who has been in Haiti since days after the earthquake. She is down here, like me and my teammates, no sponsor, no ties to any group; just decided to come down and work and she hasn’t had a minutes rest since she stepped off the plane. That’s how it is here. You wake up, nothing is actually scheduled, and you don’t stop working until your head hits the ground.

Oh yes, the phone call: A pregnant woman who lives up in the hills, about an hour from PAP, is in active labor, hemorrhaging, and needs transport to a ‘hospital’ for an emergency c-section. We get in our pick-up and start the trek through the horrendous traffic (smog in PAP is palpaple). While on our way, we get another call. There is another woman pregnant with twins, in labor, with placenta previa, also in need of an emergency c-section. We’ll just have to make room in our little Toyota.

We get to the Mission Baptiste, and ask if they have a mattress or something soft we can put on the floor of our pick-up. They give us some old blankets and pillow cases stuffed with rags. We get IV lines started in both of them and lift them on to the back of the truck. We tape their IV bags to the cab and the nurses (me, Jitterbug and the nurse who had called for emergency assistance), get in with them. Off we go down the long, winding and earthquake beaten road to the hospital/M.A.S.H.- like unit set up near the airport. I quickly learn that one of the womem has Tourettes. In addition, it is a Haitian custom for women in labor to sing what sounds like a Native American Indian war cry - woo woo woo, da da da, lalalala - something like that. "No poussé, no poussé" "Don't push, don't push", we tell them trying to stall what would have been disastrous on-road deliveries. Two women in active labor, internal exams, changing positions to prevent delivery, meconium (Google it,), a mucous plug, blood pressures, consoling and a motorcycle accident: all in a day’s work in Haiti.

We arrive at Miami General, the hospital near the airport. Hallelujah! We all made it in one piece (even though we lost our brakes for part of the trip down the hill). The medical team comes to meet us. The head doctor says, “I’m sorry, we can’t take them. We have no OB here”. “Wrong” I said. “You have a general surgeon and he will have to do”. Was she for real? All mommies and babies’ fine.

Guess what? It is now late and we still do not have a place to camp out. I decide we should try to get a room in a hotel and I would like it to have running water and electricity. You would not believe how hard it was to find that but we did….sort of. Long day but it ended with a shower. Fabulous! And what made it even better; the bathroom did not have a mirror:)





See what a general surgeon can do when he has to!!

17 comments:

  1. Yea, a shower!! I had a feeling that would happen sooner or later!! And hopefully some good sleep!

    It sounds like you are doing great not taking any bulls**t down there!!:) I guess you just have to find your voice and stand up for what is right...which probably just comes right out of you!! Keep on standing tall, you are doing great!! We think about you all the time and send good wishes for your crazy days!!

    Love, Cathy and Tom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cory,

    When you write I am there.
    Thank you for putting my life into perspective.
    I cant believe it is still so devastated there.
    I hope you get to that orphanage today.
    I hope, I hope.
    All my prayers and blessing to you Cory.
    Again Thank You for being you and braving that situation and putting the priorities of life, Children, first. Love Brya

    ReplyDelete
  3. cant wait for you to return you are doing a great job.love lil

    ReplyDelete
  4. In the meantime, while the people of Haiti wait for "The World" to step up, there are the people like you and your group who speak volums of action as opposed to volumns of words. Thank God for your hutzba, medical knowledge and tenanicity. The children of Haiti are so blessed with your efforts. I too, hope you make it to the orphanage as quickly and safely as possible.
    Rhode Island awaits you, as we all do.
    xo
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saint Corey
    Saint Coriandor of the amazing huge heart/ mind in such a little body
    we bow to you
    oxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo
    Love Barb

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are unbelievable. What a job you are doing, even if it for just some. The world is certainly a better place with you in it. Take care. Will look foward to your blogs. Sha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cory. It was so good to see you with jitterbug! I'm so glad you got a shower. Awesome job AGAIN as the perfect advocate. Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. you continue to amaze me, love,leslie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Cory, What an amazing day! You are awesome. Stay safe and strong. My prayers go with you.
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cory you are amazing, and I'm glad to see you are not letting anyone push you around.
    I feel as if I'm there with you each day I read your blog, it's just so sad.
    I have learned to count my blessings and than god for all I have.
    Oh by the way the Yankees are doing just fine so far.
    Stay safe
    God bless you and be with you everyday.
    Love Debbie B

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cory....what a story! I hope all are doing well after that ordeal? Babies and all? That shower must have been heavenly....though I didn't see any pictures, LOL! Don't get lost...love you and the wonderful things you are doing for those in need.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Cory,You are a saint and it is too bad that the press doesn't paint a picture for the world. If they did perhaps more help would arrive. It seems that security is needed to assure that the goods end up in the right hands. I thought that security from other countries was assisting. My prayers and admiration are with you

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cory - Thank you for all the posts! It's so enlightening to hear of your your days and nights out there on your mission of love, hope and support.

    There just aren't words but basicaly you are a superstar/rockstar out there especially in your glam sunglasses! Always looking fab - shower or not - be safe and what an incredible journey you are on! Love love love to you!!!!!! Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  14. cant wait for you to come home, and tell us more,love you lil

    ReplyDelete
  15. all I can say is I LOVE YOU Cory!!! And once again tell you that you're an Angel on Earth.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome.Just awesome......God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are a professional documentation and a sensational person! Cory, this world is a better place because of you. This continually helps and reminds me that there are exceptionally warm hearts in this world. You always have room in my heart.

    ReplyDelete